Monday, May 29, 2006

BMC DIA airbox


I took some measurements from the car this weekend. Here's what i need:

  • x2 BMC DIA airboxes with 70mm outlets (I need to confirm that these are 140mm length since there's not a lot of space!).
  • x2 70mm diameter flexible ducting lengths.
  • x2 crossovers from 70mm to 50mm (these need to be stainless steel or aluminium... they're going to be located close to the turbos so need to be able to cope with the heat).
  • x2 15mm filters for the oil vapour recovery system.
  • x2 15mm 90 deg elbows (since the plug in the head cover are 90 deg and i'm not certain that i can pull these and replace them with straight plugs).
  • x1 short length of 15mm silicon hose (to connect the small filters to the plug on the head cover... 100mm of hose should be sufficient, which i'll cut to fit).
  • x2 support brackets (if not included in kit).
  • x4 clamps for 15mm hose.
  • x4 70mm clamps (plus 4 if i require additional 70mm elbows and connectors).

I'll utilise the existing 50mm 45 deg elbow to connect the 70x50mm corssover to the compressor inlet. I need to verify that I'll be able to bend the flexible hose through 90 deg within a length of 110mm, otherwise i'll need a 70mm 90 deg elbow and 70mm stainless steel/aluminium connector between the airbox and the flexible hose.

I'm placing the order with Auto Pro Sport in the Netherlands... I just need to get a quote off them, since I'm working on a budget!

So, it's confirmed that the inlet piping is indeed 50mm diameter, which in my mind is far too small upstream of the compressor. Downstream of the compressor this is acceptable, since the air is compressed and therefore the flowrate here is much less (about half). Moving to 70mm piping upstream of the compressor should give a nice balanced system, with the air velocity equal on both sides of the compressor.

The only way to test this is on the dyno of course... once I've order the parts and fitted them then I'll take the car along to Rica and get it remapped... and of course post the new dyno results.

No comments: