Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Garage appointment booked

Not much to report other than the new exhaust should be delivered by the end of this week (Larini seems to be a bit stretched at the moment, since they told me two to three weeks delivery but are taking more like four to five).

All the parts for changing out the bumpers have arrived at the garage except for some of the the adapter fittings (since the new bumpers are designed to fit on an ABS Ghibli, which has a slightly different fitting to the non-ABS cars), but hopefully these will arrive before the end of the week. I also noticed that the rubber elbow pipe leading to my driver's side intercooler was looking a bit cracked and have therefore ordered a new one... which is still yet to arrive, but Jorrit has a decent second hand one in his store which he'll fit if the new part hasn't arrived in time.

Here's a summary of the work that's hopefully getting done:

  1. Replace bumpers front and back (including re-spray).
  2. Roll out dent on front left wing.
  3. Roll out dent in floor in driver’s side foot well.
  4. Change out cracked rubber elbow into left intercooler.
  5. Fasten boost solenoid valve (the original screw has fallen out).
  6. Fabricate and fit new fixing brackets for air boxes.
  7. Get the car APK tested (road worthiness test).
  8. Fit new exhaust.
  9. Fit wide-band lambda probe (including resistor) and wire in data-logger to ECU wiring harness (just the power and lambda probe for now). I need the pin diagram for non-ABS Ghibli (think it's the same as for a 224?). Once I have the pin diagram then I can wire in the other signals. Install the exhaust gas temperature probe on the exhaust and run the cables into the cockpit along with the lambda probe cables. I think there’s a spare port on the exhaust, otherwise will have to drill a hole and weld one on? It’s a 1/8” NPT fitting.
  10. The voltmeter still stops working so will see if it can be fixed? Maybe a faulty earth connection?
  11. Check engine timing; the car is loosing power above 4000 rpm, which may be an indication of problems with the distributor or valve timing. I’m convinced the car is loosing 10-20% power above 4000 rpm and since the fuelling looks fine from the last dyno (although the wideband lambda will be able to confirm this) the likely culprit is either air flow/temperature (changing the exhaust will help determine this) or timing (I’ve no reason to suspect that the ECU timing is incorrect since it’s not been re-programmed since the car was running well and producing 330 hp). So I think it’s a mechanical problem (unless one of the sensors to the ECU is malfunctioning, but if I get the data logger setup then I should be able to check this).
  12. Determine amount of offset required to prevent front wheels from fouling suspension bars on full steering lock; I’ll have some wheel spacers made front and back (additional 10 mm would probably solve the problem?) once I know the required offset.
  13. Fit new pin in passenger’s side door hinge. The old one has fallen out and now the door makes a loud cracking noise when opened due to the spring force in the hinge.
  14. Check the clutch… the position that the clutch is engaging feels a bit high on the clutch pedal travel (i.e. the clutch pedal is almost fully out before the clutch feels to fully engage). This may be caused by the steep ramp I have to drive up in order to get the park out of the garage where I have the car parked?

If all this is sorted then the car should be running great, plus I can start getting some engine data to play with and use to focus my future upgrading efforts. Plus, once I install the accelerometers then I can get some road dyno results instead of having to go to the dyno all the time.

4 comments:

monoi said...

Hi Jonny,

I have posted a comment earlier, but I am not sure where now.

Anyway, the short and long of it is that I was wondering whether you could give me the details of Forge, because I am also looking to make a strut brace bar for my 91 spyder.

Best regards,

Pascal
pascal@giraud.eclipse.co.uk

Jonny said...

Hi Pascal

I posted a reply to your original comment... trust you'll find it ok?

Cheers... Jonny.

monoi said...

Hi Jonny,

I did find it eventually going through the posts !!

I knew about the MIE brace, but I find it a bit expensive for what it is, even with the dollar so low. It does not seem very complicated, the hardest part would be measuring the dimensions for the top of the strut.

Seeing the way they connect the bar to the round fitting, I am quite sure I can fabricate something rudimentary which would be a lot stronger ! The hardest part seems to have aluminium disks fabricated, and I can't see that to be that difficult either.

I just got to get round doing it, and finding the time is the problem !

Something else I read on your blog is how you have the oil breather fitted towards the front of the engine ? Is that so important ? I have fitted 2 of them at the back, and I figure that it cannot be much worse than it was before with the air filter box.

Pascal

Jonny said...

Hi there Pascal

Sorry, I seemed to have missed notification of you replying to me and just stumbled upon your reply.

Indeed, I'm not that keen on the MIE product and it does seem a bit expensive. I also agree that making up one shouldn't be too tricky... like yourself I just need to get 'round to doing it, but I've been too busy with other stuff (like moving house and having far too much work to do!). I'm too tired to get much done in the evenings!

Don't think the location of the breather filters has much impact, so the rear of the engine bay is as good as anywhere... it doesn't have to be cold air! The only issue is maybe the smell... with the original system fitted to the Ghibli, the vapour oil vapour from the head is fed into the engine inlet and burnt through the engine and out the exhaust, but with it venting in the engine bay, it sometimes makes its way into the cabin.

It never lasts long and is only following certain driving conditions (like driving hard then stopping stationary) and I personally don't mind it (I actually quite like it... I like that workshop type smell... and it's another sensory contact with the car... you hear it, you feel it through the steering wheel and pedals... and now I smell it!).

The bi-turbo routing of inlet air was a bit whacky... it's much better on the Ghibli, but could still be better. I think it was sorted by the 3200 GT, which seems to have a clear flow path for air from the front of the car into the airbox?

Anyway, good luck and let me know how you get on. I tried to collect as many pictures of strut bars (in a Maserati context) as I could on my blog, so maybe these can serve as some form of inspiration if you decide to make your own?

Cheers... Jonny.