Friday, November 17, 2006

Blow off valves on Enrico's pages

I got mentioned twice recently on Enrico's Maserati Pages! It certainly feels good to think that I'm giving something back having been helped so much by the Maserati community.

First of all... good to see that Yannick and I (and Jarle in Norway, who has something similar fitted to his 224) are in agreement with racing teams as to the proper location of the blow off valves! The picture below from Enrico's pages shows what appears to be a racing version of the Open Cup, with blow off valves located on the underside of the inlet piping leading to the throttle body.


But what drew my eye is that on this Open Cup, the boost control solenoid valve has also been replaced? It looks like it's that blue part to the right of the intake manifold? This suggests to me that, as I suspect, the OEM solenoid is not that reliable and perhaps is a bit lacking in performance. This replacement solenoid appears to have a screw adjustment on top of it... perhaps to control the boost setting, indicating that this solenoid is mechanically adjusted, which seems a bit odd for a racer?

Of course, I could well be talking rubbish, but it would be nice to find out!

On the Mov'it side, the new components are set to arrive next week. This is unfortunate since I'll be away on business next week, so the earliest possibility to fit the brakes will be the following week... I just hope the cold weather holds off until then, otherwise it's going to be early next year before I get to fit them!

2 comments:

monoi said...

Hi Jonny,

I am very impressed with the work you have done on your ghibli.

I own a 91 biturbo spyder, and I have done a few mods on it too (blow off valves, new air filters a la ghibli which necessitated moving the battery to the spare wheel well, big brakes with 4 pistons aluminium calipers, stebro exhaust without catalyst, etc).

I see that you use a company called Forge in the UK to make things for you, and I also want to install a strut brace. If you think the ghibli needs it, you should try a spyder !! Would you have the details for them ?

Pascal

Jonny said...

Hi there Pascal.

Thanks for the positive feedback!

I did a fair bit of research on strut braces for the Ghibli and came to the conclusion that I'd have to get one made bespoke, since no one stocks them any more.

However, for bi-turbo cars I know that MIE have a strut brace that looks OK. This doesn't fit the Ghibli (needs some modification in order to do so) but it might fit your car?

Try following this link: http://maseratinet.com/SPARE_PARTS/struttowerbrace.asp

For Forge, there's a link on the right side bar of this blog, otherwise Forge UK's website is www.forgemotorsport.co.uk.

I'm fitting a new Larini front section exhaust to my Ghibli in the next week or two, without cats, so will be interesting to see how this performs!

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Cheers... Jonny.