Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Leather Care

Following some advice I received from a fellow Maserati enthusiast, I decided to perform some maintenance on the interior of my Ghibli at the weekend (plus it was a good excuse to get outside and enjoy the sun!).

Last week I purchased some AutoGlym Leather Care cream (there's a local AutoGlym stockist and if it's good enough for the British Royals, then it's good enough for me!). I was a bit hesitant, since the interior of my car has been pretty well maintained and is not exposed to heavy use or to prolonged exposure to ultra-violet light. However, I soon realised that after 15 years the leather had dried out considerably and was sucking up the cream as I applied it liberally throughout the interior of the car. It also drove home the abundent amount of leather that is utilised in the interior of the Ghibli... it took me a good couple of hours to treat all the leather surfaces in the car!

Overall, I was happy with the results. There's not a big impact on the appearance of the leather, but it certainly feels much better, leaving a much smoother surface texture!

The manufacturer recommends re-applying the cream every two months. I think this is a bit overkill and will probably do it once a year instead. It was a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours though... it's doing things like this that really help you appreciate and acquire a better general understanding and feel for the car.

No comments: