Saturday, July 08, 2006

BMC DIA installation complete

 
I managed to finally complete the installation of the BMC DIA airboxes to my Ghibli this afternoon. It actually only took me an hour to replace the flexible alluminium piping with silicone hose on the passenger side, which was much quicker than on the driver's side. This was predominantly down to good fortune though, since the straight section of 70mm pipe that I trimmed off the 90 degree elbow turned out to be the exact size needed to attach the bend to the already installed piping.

 
The final installation looks quite nice. I've tightened up the fittings on the driver's side to the compressor inlet and it seems sturdy enough now. Will just have to keep an eye on it to make sure that it doesn't work free. The passenger side connection looks pretty robust though.

 
My only concern now is that, when I opened the bonnet after parking the car in the street, I noticed that there was "steam" coming from the newly fitted oil vapour recovery filters (I say steam , but it was more likely oil vapour?). Thinking it through, this shouldn't be too much of an issue, since if the oil vapour recovery system was as per OEM, then this "steam" would be circulated into the air inlet system and ultimately burnt inside the cylinder. So I suppose the only difference now is environmental... I expect that it's environmentally more sound to burn the vapour in the engine than to let it vent directly to atmosphere?

The car sounds good when driving. I can just about make out the induction noise, but it's quite subtle until I lift off the throttle, when it makes a very distinctive noise, like the engine is exhaling a breathful of air.

I'll try and book a session at Rica next week (to remap the fuel and to get a dyno test done to see the performance improvements), assuming that the car gets through the APK (road worthiness test) OK. Posted by Picasa

No comments: