Tuesday, July 11, 2006

E-boost 2 road setup

I decided to reset my E-boost 2 yesterday evening, spurred on by the guy at the garage's comments to take the car for a long hard drive.

There's a decent stretch of quiet dual carriage-way not far from where I live (the motorway quite literally stops dead after the council ran out of money while constructing it) which is great for testing out the Ghibli. If you go at the right time there's practically no one there!

I started by returning the sensitivity of the controller back to default. What I noticed now was that the boost pressure was now "wobbling" at the set pressure, which was a little odd.

I then reduced the gate pressure (the pressure at which the wastegate starts to bleed off boost pressure) from the current 1.10 bar down to 0.8 bar. I noticed that the boost set pressure dropped, so I had to increase the set pressure value up from 54 to about 60 (these are nominal values... for some reason you can't just dial in the desired set pressure, but have to work on some arbitary scale). This brought the set pressure back up to about 1.19 bar (a bit less than I was running before, but oddly the car felt just as quick).

I then started to increase the gate pressure back up. I got up to about 0.90 bar before it started getting dark (and I had promised the wife that I'd be back at a certain time and I didn't want to worry her!). My impression is that the boost is ramping up far quicker than it was prior to the installation of the new inlet system. The boost needle on the dash is spinning right round to the top of the amber section and just holding full boost for the remainder of the gear. It seems to get to full boost by around 4000rpm, although it's hard to tell while driving at the same time.

There's still scope to improve this a little further, but I want to do this on the dyno where it's a bit safer (I'm not sure that the police would be too happy if they caught me doing twice the limit). I'll take the boost pressure up to 1.20 bar and since the pressure's not spiking yet, there's still scope to increase the gate pressure setting to ramp up to full boost a bit quicker. And then there's still the sensitivity to play with!

The connection of the inlet pipe to the driver's side compressor is still a problem, since it worked free again. I'm going to give this a clean and use a new fastener at the weekend and see if this sorts the problem, since the connection on the passenger side looks to be holding fine!

Another slightly worrying thing I discovered is that, when I accellerate hard up to about 180 to 200 km/h and then go really hard on the breaks and dip the clutch, the engine cuts out. This happened twice last night. It starts up again fine. It's a bit odd... It seems that there's a fueling problem? Perhaps too much air going into the engine (due to the speed of the car) and not enough fuel (given the low revs after dipping the clutch)?

No comments: