Friday, August 25, 2006

Ghibli strut brace news

I wrote to the owner of the Ghibli that I mentioned yesterday and he replied indicating that he purchased the car with the strut brace already installed.

He said that the previous owner had the Ghibli modified to 1996 Open Cup Evo specification. You can read about these specs on Enrico's pages, but essentially the consist of new exhaust system, larger brake discs, larger 18" wheels to accommodate the larger brakes and improved front suspension. He obviously didn't have the body modifications added like the front spoiler and rear wing... fortunately, since I think these look absolutely awful!

I was not aware that Maserati manufactured a strut brace as part of the Open Cup Evo spec, so I suspect that the previous owner of the car had this brace specially made.

Looking at the spec of the Open Cup cars, I think I'm on the right track with the modifications I'm carrying out to my car. I've already got some more efficient roller bearing turbos fitted, I've increased the rev limiter to above 7000 rpm, I've got a more efficient (and louder) exhaust system fitted and I've got the larger wheels fitted in order to accomodate larger disc brakes (which is my next project). So I just need to work on the suspension, although I'm a bit reluctant to, since I want to keep the car practical to drive on the streets, which means I don't want to lower the ride height.

No comments: