Monday, August 28, 2006

Photographic weekend

The weekend turned out to be a relatively quiet one. I did manage to get a couple of drives in though and yesterday took the car on a bit of a photo shoot... Compomotive wheels informed me that if I took some decent photos of my car then they'd include them in their new website. So here's a couple of choice pics!


I took a couple of quick videos of the exhaust note and in the engine bay which I'll post as soon as they've been cleared by Google video.

The car's running good! I played around with the wastegate opening pressure on the E-Boost and now have it set at 1.15 bar. This means that the wastegates now do not start to open until this pressure is measured in the plenum chamber. The idea is to generate full boost from the turbos for as long as possible in order to attain maximum torque. The boost pressure is currently set to around 1.19 bar, but keeping the wastegates closed until 1.15 bar results in the boost pressure spiking to 1.22 bar in low gears. What I'll probably do is trim this back slightly to around 1.13 bar and then start playing with the sensitivity.

The result is that indeed, the car is feeling pretty torquey and the pressure is zipping up to high boost nice and quickly now. I'm also running BP Ultimate 98 RON fuel which seems to help also! The car's also making a fantastic amount of noise!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jonny,

I have a problem with my Ghibli 2.8 from 94 (I'm from Hungary, Budapest). I sent a message to Enrico to his "Can you help..." topic but he hasn't replied yet. I found your blog and that you have wrote about the turbo pressure settinings on the Ghibli. I describe you my problem you might help:
I brought her to a shop to measure the performance on a dyno (MAHA LPS 3000).
The result was a little bit strange (I can send you the graph) the BHP is 272 but the torque is only 372Nm instead of the factory given 420Nm.
If you have a look at the graph the torque drops down strangely in 2 waves after the maximum point, and the BHP is not really ascending after that RPM. The guy at the shop couldn't tell me why it happens but he thinks that there is a reducer somewhere in the system. The car is just after a big workshop, the catalytic converters have been removed, clutch has been changed, etc (no oil consumption at all: less than half liter / 5000 km!).
When I dive the car the HP is npt growing after 4000 RPM and it is shown in the graph.
Do you have any idea why it happens?

Thanks,

Robert (rwirtz@mail.datanet.hu)

Jonny said...

Hi there Robert

If you send me the dyno results I'll have a look (I'm more of a pictures guy).

My experience is with the 2.0 liter engine, but I might be able to think of something to explain what's happening on your car.

Regards... Jonny.